Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Are we Human; or, are we Dancer?

This question asked by The Killers; brings to my mind the Matrix.  Are we Dancers?  Are we just puppets chained to a rock, living a life that has already been imagined for us?  Are we running around this simulated, computerized rat race with the maze and ending already planned? 

The Matrix was created by machines, which were created by humans, to serve as a Tempest to distract the sleeping human population from awaking to the truth; their planet was completely destroyed, they were being harvested to power the machines, and the outlook was quite bleak. They needed a savior, a Neo, to show them the truth. Someone who broke from the chains and witnessed the de-fictionalized reality.  Humans were responsible for creating the Matrix, and Humans in turn, will be responsible for destroying the Matrix.  A low-brow film I watched yesterday also shows me that, Alice herself created a Matrix to hide from the reality of her situation.  

In this case, she is a young woman living in a suppressed, Aristocratic English household where every detail of her life is planned, downed the the exact time she will be engaged.  Alice's Wonderland is her escape, it is her life as fiction.   Throughout the movie she is questioned if she is the right Alice.  No one really thinks that she is the real Alice, except her. She knows she is the right Alice because it is her dream, she is the wizard behind the curtain.  She realizes that she controls her own destiny. After journeying through wonderland she returns out of her own rabbit hole,  says no to her soon to be fiancée, and ventures out to create a life for herself.

I have created meaning throughout my whole life through my experiences, stories, knowledge, and relationships.  I have questioned myself many times; asking, is this all real?  It has to be, I am Prospero.  My life has meaning because I place it there.  My own personal life is a Matrix that I have shaped and created. Its not that simple, the fictitious life that I have created must also have some sort of truth.  And that truth is that I am my own Neo. I am awakened to the fact that in reality I am asleep.  In becoming awakened you understand that you are chained to a rock; that your reality is just a computer program; the meaning of your life is socially constructed by the forces you yourself perpetuate, and you have the ability to change who you are and what life means.  Your life can become your Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment