Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stories and the Power they Contain

Noticing the way that Beckett uses his language and style to let us understand that he is just telling us a story makes me think about some of the stories in my life that are quite remarkable.  One of my favorite family stories has to do with my Great Grandfather.  My great grandfather was blind by the age of 18.  When he was a young child, probably around 10 or so; he, in competition with his five other siblings, took the last biscuit out from under his older brother. His older brother, appalled by this action, stabbed him in the eye with a fork!  The first time I heard this made me shiver in horror and awe for that fact that my great uncle must have been crazy or hungry as hell to stab his younger brother in the eye.  So there is my Grandfather with only one good eye left.  He's 18 years old and driving across his families homestead.  He's heading into town to celebrate his graduating from high school.  His friends are also celebrating and decide to pull a prank on him.  They lay out some barbwire on the road in order to give him a flat or two.  I don't really see the humor in this trick.  Turns out the barbwire is blown into the air, through the windshield of my grandpa's vehicle and glass explodes into the face and eyes of my grandfather.  He is now blind. This story of how my grandfather became blind always fascinated me; it increased the respect I have for him and my family.  Turns out it was all a story.

My Great Grandfather was blind. He did get his eye poked out by a fork when he was 10. Except, it was his own fault, he tripped on the floor and ploop, there goes an eye.  As for the other eye, since his depth perception was off he accidentally went through a single wire fence, smashing his windshield and driving glass into his other eye. I just learned the truth of this story from my grandfather over Christmas break. I was a little dis-heartened; but, after I think about it he was blind from 18 till he passed away and is still one of my most respected relatives.  I'm going to continue to tell the story of how he became blind the way I want.  Everyone loves and desires a good story. 

1 comment: